Most of the recipes I reviewed for meatloaf used packaged onion mix and other "Wooster sauces" which contain preservatives and MSG, which I just could not bring myself to use even if they claimed would make it delicious.
I used Ground Bison which is similar to select choice beef but has a slightly sweeter flavor than beef. It has so much flavor and is just as tender as most cuts of good select beef. Bison meat is naturally leaner than beef and in fact bison, ounce per ounce, has less total fat than most meat products including pork, chicken and most fish. Bison also has fewer calories and higher amounts of iron than most meat products. I bought the Ground Bison at BJ's, but it is also sold at Stop & Shop, my local grocery store.
I made my own breadcrumbs using leftover challah bread from breakfast(toasted it in the oven and put it in the food processor). To make the dish healthier, I added a carrot and bell pepper - finely chopped - so that it will not be too visible to the kids!
CWR'S MEATLOAF WITH VEGGIES
2 Pounds Ground Bison (or Beef, Turkey or Pork)
1/2 Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 tablespoons Green Seasoning (Recipe to follow, see subsitute below)
**1 cup fine bread crumbs (use home made if you can)
1/4 cup organic ketchup
1 tablespoon olive oil or organic butter (for onion)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon organic ketchup and 1 teaspoon honey (for glaze)
**Suggestions--Instead of toasting bread to make breadcrumbs, soak in 1/2 cup whole milk.
Use the following substitute for "Green Seasoning":
1 Tbsp Scallion (about 1-2 scallions, minced)
1 Tbsp Cilantro or 1 Tsp Thyme leaves (minced)
1 Tbsp Celery Stalk (about 1/2 celery stalk, minced)
2 Garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Sautee onions in olive oil or organic butter until soft and transparent. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, eggs, sauteed onion, carrots, bell pepper, bread crumbs, ketchup and green seasoning(or substitute). Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Combine 1 Tbsp ketchup and 1 Tsp honey. Mix well and brush over the meatloaf 15 minutes prior to removing from oven.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 60-90 minutes until the meatloaf separates from the sides.